Hello Guest

Grasshopper Vapes - lets have some real talk

• 17 Replies

Troy

Grasshopper Vapes - lets have some real talk
« on: August 02, 2018, 04:04:28 PM »
I meant to post this last night after the Flowerpot sessions with Backwoodhooligan, but damn I was faded after those two half gram bowls.

So lets talk Grasshopper! I get several requests for a Grasshopper vape review every month, but I have never really reviewed the vape officially. I own 3 and they've all had issues over the last 3 years.
I love how the vape functions, but I don't have enough confidence in it to recommend.

What have your experiences been with the grasshopper?
Please include when you bought your hopper. I'm hoping to hear feedback from new and old customers!

Re: Grasshopper Vapes - lets have some real talk
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 11:11:24 AM »
So, as a company, I've never seen a worse one. Their customer service is atrocious. Strictly speaking about the vape, mine was meh.

I ordered mine back in February along with a pfe and 3 extra batteries. They were quick to respond to emails until I finally placed my order. After that, they went dark and all I heard were crickets. I contacted them 5 times over the following 2 months trying to figure out when they were going to ship my product since their website said they were shipping within 2 weeks. After 2 months of 0 communication from them, I sent an email telling them to cancel my order. Still no response. A week after that, I filed a complaint with PayPal since Grasshopper conveniently had no cancel order option.

Now, over the 2 months of waiting, I had already purchased a Dynavap and a Fury 2, received them, used them a great deal, and had lost all desire to have the Grasshopper. I wanted my money back from Grasshopper so that I could balance out my other two purchases. Instead of giving me a refund, they rushed a vape out to me so that they didn't have to give me my money back and PayPal was appeased.

When I received the vape, it had small scratches on it and it looked like they had pieced together previously used parts to have something to send me. The result was a device that produced no vapor at all, even on setting 5. I decided that the lifetime warranty wasn't worth anything if the company went under because of everyone getting tired of their bullshit. So I abandoned ship, sold it, took the loss, and won't ever look back at them.

In my opinion, it was the worst experience I've ever had from any company, anywhere, and the product wasn't any better.
I love the idea and concept of the device, and if it genuinely worked as intended, that would be awesome, but given the quality of the device and the negligence of the company, I wouldn't recommend the Grasshopper to anyone... Ever.

And no, after all that, I never got a response back from them. The Grasshopper is an unreliable product from a shit company.

That's my 2 about them. It may be harsh, but it's honest

Sent from my LG-H932 using 420Vapezone mobile app

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 11:06:10 PM »
It was actually my first vape, picked up with a PFE, and there's much to like about it. I can confirm it's a quick, pocketable full convection microdosing solution for flower. Maybe one of the best there is, some overlapping qualities with the Dynavap, but without the butane lighter

However, mine's put away, unused in months.

Why?

If I turn it on and leave it on for several draws, it heats up like flame to a banger! Too hot for the lips, the vapor burning the mouth, throat.

If I pulse it like a milaana, I'm constantly toggling the switch. OMG that switch.

If you have repetitive stress issues, or if you want even a modicum of discretion, operating the switch is a non starter. It's loud, obnoxious and strenuous. After hours of typing, it just hurts me. Ouch ouch ouch ouch. And it can be heard through doors and even walls. A privacy killer.

Was I a frequent or heavy user? No. Probably explains why mine never failed -- I'm an outlier there!  Only used it about 30 or 40 times.

I feel for the Kickstarter supporters. I backed an (unrelated) project once and it was a drawn out disaster. I'm shocked hopper is still around hocking the thing ... pretty much it's original model.

BTW, I'd be happy to part with mine for a bit below the going rate for used if anyone is dead set on trying it.  I'll never use it again. Much rather it was a 420VZ person or a ZTeamer than some F*Cer. PM me.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 11:12:33 PM by analytika »

Troy

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 08:28:52 PM »
So, as a company, I've never seen a worse one. Their customer service is atrocious. Strictly speaking about the vape, mine was meh.

I ordered mine back in February along with a pfe and 3 extra batteries. They were quick to respond to emails until I finally placed my order. After that, they went dark and all I heard were crickets. I contacted them 5 times over the following 2 months trying to figure out when they were going to ship my product since their website said they were shipping within 2 weeks. After 2 months of 0 communication from them, I sent an email telling them to cancel my order. Still no response. A week after that, I filed a complaint with PayPal since Grasshopper conveniently had no cancel order option.

Now, over the 2 months of waiting, I had already purchased a Dynavap and a Fury 2, received them, used them a great deal, and had lost all desire to have the Grasshopper. I wanted my money back from Grasshopper so that I could balance out my other two purchases. Instead of giving me a refund, they rushed a vape out to me so that they didn't have to give me my money back and PayPal was appeased.

When I received the vape, it had small scratches on it and it looked like they had pieced together previously used parts to have something to send me. The result was a device that produced no vapor at all, even on setting 5. I decided that the lifetime warranty wasn't worth anything if the company went under because of everyone getting tired of their bullshit. So I abandoned ship, sold it, took the loss, and won't ever look back at them.

In my opinion, it was the worst experience I've ever had from any company, anywhere, and the product wasn't any better.
I love the idea and concept of the device, and if it genuinely worked as intended, that would be awesome, but given the quality of the device and the negligence of the company, I wouldn't recommend the Grasshopper to anyone... Ever.

And no, after all that, I never got a response back from them. The Grasshopper is an unreliable product from a shit company.

That's my 2 about them. It may be harsh, but it's honest

Omg that's fucking terrible

Troy

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 08:30:30 PM »
It was actually my first vape, picked up with a PFE, and there's much to like about it. I can confirm it's a quick, pocketable full convection microdosing solution for flower. Maybe one of the best there is, some overlapping qualities with the Dynavap, but without the butane lighter

However, mine's put away, unused in months.

Why?

If I turn it on and leave it on for several draws, it heats up like flame to a banger! Too hot for the lips, the vapor burning the mouth, throat.

If I pulse it like a milaana, I'm constantly toggling the switch. OMG that switch.

If you have repetitive stress issues, or if you want even a modicum of discretion, operating the switch is a non starter. It's loud, obnoxious and strenuous. After hours of typing, it just hurts me. Ouch ouch ouch ouch. And it can be heard through doors and even walls. A privacy killer.

Was I a frequent or heavy user? No. Probably explains why mine never failed -- I'm an outlier there!  Only used it about 30 or 40 times.

I feel for the Kickstarter supporters. I backed an (unrelated) project once and it was a drawn out disaster. I'm shocked hopper is still around hocking the thing ... pretty much it's original model.

BTW, I'd be happy to part with mine for a bit below the going rate for used if anyone is dead set on trying it.  I'll never use it again. Much rather it was a 420VZ person or a ZTeamer than some F*Cer. PM me.

OMG the lip burns from the hopper are the worst. There's no warning sensation or hint that the heat is coming, it's just vapor vapor vapor BAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM like a wasp sting to the lip

I'm also amazed that yours hasn't had issue!!

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 07:14:28 PM »
I'll stick up for the Grasshopper despite the less than stellar customer service.   The vape, when it's working, is great for what it is.
I like to think of it as a one hitter not something to get multiple hits from.  For that it's great.   I will admit though that they're not for
everyone.  My wife and I now own 3 of the suckers.  Two have been in for repair since April.  The second time for one in just over
a year.   However I liked and used mine so often going out that I got another to tide me over.

It does get hot like sucking on a hair dryer but if you can take hot vapor it's great.  So stealthy I don't mind using it when walking
around my neighborhood.  It's great for 2 - 3 hits back in your pocket and then a few more hit's later.   They do give you a lifetime
warranty and so far have stood behind it.  So if your cool owning more than one and okay with the slow repairs it's a great vape

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 11:59:19 AM »
I'll let you know as soon as it arrives. I ordered it on April 21, when the website was promising a 3-week shipping time. If it ever shows up, I'll let you know how it works.

Since I've gotten tired of waiting for New Vape Day, I just dropped an order for a Mighty from PuffItUp. I'll bet it gets here long before the Grasshopper.

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 10:04:02 AM »
Just about seven months to the day after I ordered a Grasshopper for 4.20, it has arrived.

I am a very experienced vaper. I've had an SSV for over ten years, and I started experimenting with portables with a Firefly right after they came out. So I was intrigued by the idea of a vaporizer for advanced users, a device which promises greater rewards for those who can access its full capacity.

That is the Hopper. It demands an understanding of the subtleties of heat and draw, and it's sensitive to grind and load. It is extremely satisfying to get it all right and feel the warm terpene tingle on your uvula as the Hopper extracts all the oils from your load in a few hard draws.

So there is a sense of accomplishment from achieving peak rip from a Hopper, much like using a Vapcap. And once you get the hang of it, most of the hits are peak rips.

But you do have to be consistent. A weak draw will get you no reward, while drawing too hard and long will turn your uvula to jerky. If it's turned up high enough to produce those big clouds people rave about, heat management is a big issue.

Meanwhile, I've often seen reviewers refer to the Mighty as a good beginner vape. With so many other things, from computers to motorcycles, beginner means that it's okay to start with, but you'll get bored and want more power soon. I have to admit, I was looking at vapes in those terms, assuming that the real adventure starts with advanced models.

The Mighty works whether I want to sip at it like my grandfather with his pipe, or haul on it like it's a three-foot bong. The Hopper gives amazing hits with advanced technique, while the Mighty does the same with pretty much any technique. I'd say that makes the Mighty the more sophisticated device, letting you use it as the mood suits.

One of the reasons I got the Hopper was stealth, but now that I've got it in my hands, I think my PAX 3 is less conspicuous. I've carried the PAX through a couple of international airports, as well as a number of high-security concerts, and no one gives it a second look. They probably assume it's just a charger; even under x-ray it's just a battery and some circuitry. The Hopper, on the other hand, is going to make people say "What is that giant, heavy pen all about?". Plus, with its short battery life, you'll want to carry a pocketful of batteries along with the device, which might raise questions at a security check.

Am I happy that I got it? Sure, but I have Vaporizer Acquisition Syndrome. I want to try all of the vapes. But this one is not easy to load, with its narrow chamber, battery life is short, and it's known for dependability issues. I don't see it becoming a daily driver (though it is currently at the top of the rotation, mostly for the novelty of it).

If someone is looking for a main vaporizer, as opposed to another piece in the collection, I'd look elsewhere. Right at the moment I'm with Troy--the Mighty is the best I've tried.

Of course, I haven't bought a Ghost yet, so maybe next 4.20...

« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 08:40:24 PM by Cannabiker »

Troy

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 08:16:24 AM »
Great feedback!
Especially about carrying the pax vs carrying the hopper.
Carrying a stack of batteries is awkward

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 08:57:43 AM »
I have two Ti Bronze GH.  Bought one and it worked for 18 months of light use (well rotated among other vapes) and mostly used in the middle of the night for a quick pain sesh.

It worked wonderfully, particularly though a J-hook or an Ion knockoff, and I never minded the hot MP.  I did not have flashing light issues, hot back end issues, or many of the other common complaints.

It did die on me....into RMA....months of waiting....a friend gave me another Bronze Ti to use and it ran too cool also, RMA returned and now runs so cool its not worth using, retunred the gifted GH and upon return it still runs too cool to use..

So, I have two GHs that run too cool to use, both of them have been RMA'd/parts replaced (body mainly as far as I can tell).

Now, after years of watching the Hopper Labs circus, I have no patience for them anymore.  The lady above nailed it...I don't think you can have worst CS if you designed for it.  They are horrible and tbh its just not worth the effort to RMA the two of them back again...well, not to me its not.

The form factor introduced a lot of design criticality incl the custom batter and perhaps even the incredibly stupid idea of using the body as the ground path.

Even if it took 18650's, would you trust that bunch who have brought us years of absolutely ridiculous reliability and company performance to develop another product? R

If after these years of production, if they can't fix their testibility, reliability, maintainability issues, and their incredibly incompetent CS profile, then I don't think I want do business with the again.

Now, we all do understand that this is the vape company what WILL NOT engage with their customer base on forums...at all...after all this shit...still just the silent treatment...right? 

They have no one to blame but themselves and I've personally had it with the silent treatment.  If you want my commerce, come on a board and acknowledge your issues tell me exactly how you fixed your problems.

Right now, I'm highly not interested. 

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 01:43:52 PM »
As intriguing as the GH is I just cant pull the trigger. I don't have nearly enough patience for this company from the sound of things.

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2019, 09:45:28 AM »
Ok... So I've already posted my feeling about Grasshopper Vapes as a company and the sub par performance I experienced when I had one.

This is going to be a bit different. I was wondering if anyone has one that's broken or not, who would be willing to part with it. I'm on a mission to figure out how these tick and hopefully how to repair them in house so that people don't have to wait excessively long periods of time to get theirs back. This is an analog style battery vape that adjusts wattages based on a dial. I know there's circuit boards inside and I'm ok with that. I have some experience working with circuit boards and really think that I can figure it out. If I can, then I will be posting a video for the community in how to repair it themselves (with the disclaimer that it would void their warranty of course).

I want this product to succeed regardless of how I feel about the company. If people can make repairs themselves and be successful with it, then it won't all be on GrasshopperVapes shoulders and they can focus on the important part which is improving and selling new functioning grasshoppers... Not dealing with months and years worth of warranty issues.

Anyways, if you have one and feel like donating for science, please let me know!

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 08:16:04 AM »
Isn't it too late?

Can't imagine they'll update the grasshopper after all these years. Their future is bankruptcy.

They'll try to extract a little more cash, open the chamber and dump their customers' lifetime warranties on the sidewalk  like combusted ABV.

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 08:36:30 AM »
It may already be too late, but all those people who have them are still gonna need repairs at some point. Sure this would benefit HL, but my first priority is the community

Satta

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2019, 12:43:01 PM »
Woop woop! Yes please 😂😎 Happy 420 people!