Hello Guest

Frustrated. Need help picking a vape

• 10 Replies
Frustrated. Need help picking a vape
« on: April 12, 2019, 08:39:42 AM »
Short version - Need a vape recommendation. Have several already (and had others) but don't love any of them. Not a big fan of box mods as I don't like to tinker. I just want to go. Butane is pretty much off the table.

Long version: I am having trouble marrying a portable vape. So far, I have the Starry, Fog, Solo 2, CFX, and the Mighty. They are okay, but I can't marry any of them. They all have semi to total drawbacks that keep me from loving them. I had a Ghost MV1, Tubo and IQ that I've moved on. The main issue I have is I am not a microdoser so these teeny bowls just don't do enough and I want to be one and done, for the most part. I have been banned from torches (unless I use outside only), so any of those are off the table (I'm in the NE area so it's cold 8 months out of the year LOL!). Besides, I can't see the Dynavap as one I would love as it's another microdoser and I would need several of those too, which defeats the one and done structure I prefer
 - Ghost: was great but wasn't a fan of those teeny crucibles and it was a bit big and bulky.
 - IQ:  I didn't like how hot my particular unit got, so I moved it along.
 - Starry:  I like the starry well enough for a conduction vape, like the bowl and removable battery, but it's conduction.
 - Fog I like the Fog - it's a hybrid with removable battery, but bowl is a bit small and I wish the stem came off easier.
 - Mighty: It is great, but I need that 428. 410 not enough to get the high level terps. I LOVE dosing capsules for cleanness. It would likely win if the temp went higher. But I am not in love with the internal battery
 - Solo 2 - great flavor. Temp is a bit finicky to temp step but doable, but the stems again are small. Battery isn't a big deal as it's fairly easy to replace.
 - CFX: Love the bowl size and the fact it's hybrid-ish, but it is plastic, no removable battery. Wish they had pods for it!! Temp is a bit finicky to change for temp stepping.
- Tubo: Had it and wasn't a fan. I'm not one that really likes to fuck around with mods and shit. I just want to go. BUT, the taste was great and the variable bowl size was nice. I don't have the patience for the learning curve to get the mod set "just so".

I have a Ditanium that I love. I want that same level of love for a more portable device. Would the One be a good choice, assuming it uses the Fury2 capsules. Would the Fury 2 give me something the others don't. Or should I just give up on the concept of the portable and get Woodscents or something? I don't usually leave the house, though I do go outside and vape in the summer. Or is there some other one out there that I'm not familiar with that will tick the boxes. I would love full convection but that seems to be a unicorn with the other parameters.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Re: Frustrated. Need help picking a vape
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 01:43:08 PM »
Have you considered a Splinter or Splinter Z? If you load the stem instead of the basket screen you can pack some pretty big bowls, its full convection, your mod would have replaceable batteries, and it clicks the portable box.

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 03:20:42 PM »
Have you considered a Splinter or Splinter Z? If you load the stem instead of the basket screen you can pack some pretty big bowls, its full convection, your mod would have replaceable batteries, and it clicks the portable box.

Thanks Pachyderm! I broke down and ordered a Splinter. I'm nervous of the mod as I've not really gotten along with them so far, but am willing to give a try again.But that's the thing I liked (variable load size) and I know the the taste will be great. So it's worth taking a shot at it. :) Thanks so much for the vote!!

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 03:30:08 PM »
Enjoy it. The best part of the splinter is even if you just leave it in watts mode you can really dial it in to how you like it. So if you just play with it a bit you should be able to get it where you want it

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 05:47:50 AM »
Enjoy it. The best part of the splinter is even if you just leave it in watts mode you can really dial it in to how you like it. So if you just play with it a bit you should be able to get it where you want it

I will likely be asking a lot of questions then to get a hint as to where to even start. ;) Honestly it will be a fun experience for me to figure out the mod .

I'm pretty excited to try this vape out. I'm really over trying to find that "daily driver" that ticks all my boxes. I find I've been leaning more on my Ditanium than anything else at the moment, but that doesn't help for when I want to vape out on my deck. ;) I'll let you know how it goes.

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 05:53:53 PM »
Right on. I like to start between 23 and 25 watts with maybe 3 seconds of preheat. Btw

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 08:14:53 PM »
Right on. I like to start between 23 and 25 watts with maybe 3 seconds of preheat. Btw

And then do you up the watts or is the bowl pretty well cashed at that point?

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 08:42:25 PM »
I generally st8ck around 25 or 26 til the end. This is using the basket screen. If your stem packing you might want to up the watts. You can go highrr than this. Thats just were i like it. I suggest starting around there and bumping up the watts by .5 until you find what works best with your draw style

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2019, 10:31:17 AM »
HAHAHAHAHA! Just my luck...

I tried my first bowl in the Splinter and guess what? I'm allergic to the wood. As in tongue tingling, throat tingling allergic. I never thought that would be an issue. I do have a StemPod also on its way so maybe I'll try this again when it gets here.  :P

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2019, 01:26:15 PM »
Oh no. That sucks!

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2019, 05:11:23 PM »
Oh no. That sucks!

Yeah, I'm really bummed. I really wanted to like it. Other than the reaction, it was a great piece to use!